Monday, May 23, 2011

Out with the Old, In with the New: My New Cookware!


Back in January, Kimiko wrote a post about cookware.  She discussed different types of cookware and the pros and cons of each one.  We then each talked about what we owned.  I had a set of Farberware non-stick cookware that was long overdue to be replaced.  See:



I mentioned that I was waiting until I had the money to buy a quality set that would last the rest of my life.  Well, that day has arrived!!  Thanks to our tax refund, I was able to purchase a new set.  Thanks to a white sauce with black non-stick flecks in it, I had not regrets about throwing the old set away.

I decided on the Kirkland Signature 13-piece stainless steel set.  It's basically the same set Kimiko discussed back in January.  It does have some style variations from her set and slightly different sizes of pans.  But it has the copper bottoms and all metal construction.




The skillets didn't come with lids, but the saute lid fits the large skillet.


I no longer have to worry about scratching the surface.  I can use any utensil I want!  And they hold heat much better than my old set.

Needless to say, I am very happy with my new toys!!  We cannot emphasize enough how important it is to have quality cookware.  It doesn't have to be expensive; this set cost me less than $200.

Of course, now that I have different cookware, I have to go back and do a little re-organizing.

8 comments:

StaceyN said...

Congrats! I hope you thoroughly enjoy your pretty new pots!

My cookware of choice is Revereware. I received a nice set of Revere Ware for my wedding, about 15 years ago (when they were still made in the USA), and they are still going strong. I have been able to add a few new Revere Ware pots to my collection via thrift stores (hurray for thrift stores!). I have also found a few very nice Chicago Cutlery knives at the thrift stores to expand my small collection. Thanks to your post about Raley’s knife sharpening, I no longer have to bug my poor hubby to sharpen them all the time!

Sumiko said...

Thanks, Stacey! I have one Revereware pot with steamer and lid. I love it!! It was a random piece I got when Robbie's grandma died. I expect it to last me a long time! And I'm so glad you will be able to take advantage of the Raley's knife sharpening!

Liz Johnson said...

Sumiko, I am wondering if you have tried scambling eggs in the frying pan and how the pan released the eggs. I know the coatings are not a good thing, but sure enjoy the ease they bring! Liz Johnson

Sumiko said...

I haven't used either of the frying pans yet. Kimiko, any input? If she doesn't have any info for you, I'll let you know in the next few days. My boys are always willing to eat scrambled eggs! =-)

Sumiko said...

Liz, I made scrambled eggs for the boys today. They turned out great! No sticking at all! I greased the pan with olive oil, bottom and sides. Just be sure the pan and oil are hot before adding the eggs. I think I might have to do a scrambled egg post now. =-)

Kristin said...

That is so funny that Liz asked you that...I was going to post a comment about the same thing...I have the same pots you just bought and the frying pans drove me nuts!:) Then again, I am not the most patient person in the kitchen and maybe I just didn't give them the care and oil they needed!:)

Betsy Pierce said...

Hi Sumiko!

I just checked out this blog for the first time. Looks like lots of fun for you and Kiki. I laughed when I saw this particular post, because I bought this same set of cookware when I got married and am still very happy with them. I did add two cast iron pans to my kitchen that I use for breakfast type items like pancakes and eggs and such.. Plus I so appreciate that the pans can go in the dishwasher! Yeah for easier clean up! Have you ever used that fancy Le Crueset stuff? I've heard it's the very best but ouch(!) expensive.

Sumiko said...

Kristin, Guess I will have to do more frying pan posts! As far as eggs go, you don't need a lot of oil, just a thin layer. The key is having the pan hot before adding the eggs. Watch out in the near future for an egg post!

Betsy, I haven't used any fancy cookware, and probably never will. Unless some very generous person gives it to me. =-) So glad to hear you are still happy with your Costco cookware. I can tell just by picking it up that it's quality that will last! I haven't yet put mine in the dishwasher, but I'm sure that is in the very near future!

Related Posts with Thumbnails