Monday, May 16, 2011

Beans and Rice Casserole


A while back, Sumiko wrote about how her family saves money by eating a lot of beans and rice.  We don't eat beans and rice very often (unless there's meat involved), but I did find one meatless recipe that suits my entire family.  I'm hoping to find more, but I can only experiment so much before people start starving!  Anyway, I enjoy this recipe because it's cheap, healthy, low in fat, and high in good protein.  It's also very filling!

Beans and Rice Casserole
1 cup uncooked brown rice
2 cups kidney beans
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with chiles
1/4 cup salsa
2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp salt
Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
Sour cream or Greek yogurt, optional
Tortillas, optional

Cook rice according to package directions.  I put 1 cup brown rice and 2 1/4 cups water in my rice cooker.  Once the rice is done, transfer it to a bowl and add the kidney beans; mix to combine.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Add onions; saute until tender.  Add un-drained tomatoes, salsa, chili powder, and salt.  Cook until heated through.

You don't need the name brand (i.e. Rotel) tomatoes; generic works just fine!



Grease an 8 inch square baking dish (or any 2-qt dish).  Spread one-third of the rice mixture in the bottom of the dish; top with one-third of the tomato mixture.



If you're going to add cheese, put a layer of cheese, followed by another layer of rice and another layer of tomatoes.  Add more cheese, then one more layer of each the rice and tomato mixtures.  I left the cheese out, figuring people could put whatever cheese they wanted on their individual plates.


Cover with foil and bake for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.  Serve as is or with cheese, sour cream, olives, green onions, avocado, hot sauce, tortillas, tortilla chips, etc.  I chose to eat mine with taco sauce, avocado, and Greek yogurt, while my husband chose to turn his into a burrito by putting it into a tortilla with some hot sauce, cheese, and lettuce.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

So...you are saying that James actually likes this???? I am IMPRESSED!:) Plus...it sounds extra yummy...so I can't wait to give it a try!

Kimiko said...

Well, I've been given permission to make this once a month...more if we run out of money. :) I am considering making it on a more regular basis for lunches for myself and the little one, though. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails