Monday, February 28, 2011

Delicious SWEET Pancakes


Shortly after we started our blog, I wrote about homemade pancake mix so that you could have the ease of a mix, at a fraction of the cost.  They are good, but I like sweet pancakes.  And by "sweet," I mean really sweet.  So I jumped online and found a copycat recipe for IHOP's pancakes.  I don't eat at IHOP, so I don't know how they actually compare to IHOP's pancakes, but I do know that they are delicious...if you like sweet.  For the most part, I left the recipe as is, but did make a couple slight changes.

Sweet Buttermilk Pancakes
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 heaping tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
Pinch salt
1 egg
1 1/4 cups buttermilk (or 1 1/4 Tbsp. vinegar mixed with enough milk to make 1 1/4 cups)
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 tsp vanilla

In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Add egg, buttermilk, canola oil, and vanilla.  Mix until combined, but there are still a few small lumps (you don't want to overmix).
Instead of mixing the dry ingredients separately, and adding the wet, I often measure the buttermilk in a measuring cup/bowl big enough in which to mix the batter.  I add the liquid ingredients first, then put the dry ingredients right in there.  That way I only dirty one bowl!
Dry ingredients added right into wet.

Heat a nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat and grease with a little oil.  Pour or ladle desired amount of batter onto griddle or skillet and cook until the edges start to look done.  Flip and cook about 45 seconds longer, or until second side is done and golden brown.

Another perk to mixing it in a measure cup/bowl is that you can easily pour the batter right into the pan.
The edges look like this when it's time to flip.

Perfectly golden brown!
 I make up a big batch and freeze the leftovers.  These are good for any meal - breakfast, lunch, or dinner...or dessert topped with chocolate chips and whipped cream!  Additionally, I never said these were healthy(!), but they are inexpensive!!

Furthermore, it just so happens that tomorrow is National Pancake Day and IHOP is serving free pancakes!!  While they are free, IHOP asks that you consider leaving a charitable donation.  You can get all of the scoop here!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

The kids LOVE pancakes...so thanks for another recipe dear Aunt Kimiko!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails