Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Sumiko's Meatless Comfort Soup


A few weeks ago I posted about Auntie Laurel’s comfort soup.  While I really like it, I’ve developed my own version.  One way I try to save money on food is by making meatless meals so I omitted the Italian sausage.  I also added brown rice to complement the garbanzos for a complete protein and to boost the fiber.

This recipe makes a lot of soup but can be easily cut in half if you don’t want such a large batch.  I tried freezing it once, not expecting it to work.  Surprisingly, it did!  The zucchini ended up a little on the mushy side, but not too bad.

Sumiko’s Comfort Soup
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 large onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
6 c. water
3 Tbsp. beef bouillon
1 tsp. dried basil
3 c. cooked brown rice
28 oz. diced tomatoes
1 qt. garbanzo beans, drained
3 zucchini
1-2 tsp. salt
Parmesan cheese



Heat oil in 5-qt. stock pot; sauté onion and garlic over medium-high heat until onions begin to turn translucent.


Add remaining ingredients and increase heat to high.  Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer until zucchini is tender, about 5-6 minutes.



Serve with Parmesan cheese.  Yield:  about 4 quarts.


If you don’t have leftover cooked rice and don’t want to make any just for this soup, you can start with uncooked rice.  Increase water to 8 cups.  After sautéing onion and garlic, add water, bouillon, basil, and 1 c. dry brown rice.  Simmer until rice is almost done, about 35-40 minutes.  Add remaining ingredients and continue as above.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails