Monday, June 4, 2012

Tomato and Cucumber Sandwich with Garlic Chive Spread

tomato and cucumber sandwich with garlic chive spread


It's almost summer!!  As far as we're concerned, summer is already here because we're full on into our summer vacation, swimming lessons, and bathing suit tans.  And that means I'm taking cues from the garden.

I didn't actually get my own garden planted this year.  So sad, but it was a busy spring for us.  I do still have strawberries and asparagus from the past few years.  And my horribly neglected herb garden is blessing me with garlic chives, cilantro, and possibly some basil in the near future.  Yay for self-seeding plants!  The chives are actually bulbs so they come up by themselves every year.

Well, I went out to take inventory a few weeks ago, and my garlic chives were going crazy.  I snipped them all down and then had to use them.  At the same time, I happened to have some cucumbers and tomatoes on hand—sandwich time!!


I love mayonnaise with tomatoes.  They just go so well together.  But I try not to eat too much mayonnaise since it has so much fat in it.  Lately I’ve been substituting some of the mayonnaise in my recipes with plain yogurt.


As far as herbs go, I just used garlic chives because that’s what I had in my garden.  You could easily use any herbs you have available to you.  Or add some minced garlic!

Garlic Chive Spread
¼ c. mayonnaise
¼ c. plain yogurt
Fresh herbs, chopped, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste if desired

Mix all ingredients thoroughly.  Serve as a sandwich spread, salad dressing, or veggie dip.



1 comment:

Apani said...

Simple recipe and i also use cucumber or other vegetable.
Indian Vegetarian Food Recipes

Related Posts with Thumbnails