Wednesday, June 6, 2012

French Roll Pizzas



I had recently planned on making meatball subs for dinner.  I had the beef in my freezer, bought French rolls at the grocery store, and was going to get ground pork on sale.  However, when I got to the store to get the ground pork, they were out!  I contemplated going to another store and just paying full price for it, but I really didn't want to spend that much on this meal.  But I had already bought the rolls and I didn't want them to go to waste, so I started brainstorming ways to use them.  Then it hit me.  I would make little pizzas out of them.

First, let me give a little note about the rolls.  I used to buy French rolls in the bread aisle, but even on sale, they were quite expensive.  However, I discovered that the grocery store where I do most of my shopping sells French sub rolls in bulk for around 33 cents per roll (or sometimes they're even cheaper if they're on sale)!  So I decided to give them a try and I actually like them much better than the packaged variety.  They are so fresh and delicious, but they have to be used pretty much that day or the next.

French Roll Pizzas
French rolls
Pizza sauce (I'm working on a homemade sauce and will share it once I get it just the way I like it)
Mozzarella cheese, shredded
Desired toppings (onions, peppers, pepperoni, chicken, olives, mushrooms, tomatoes, etc.)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cut rolls in half lengthwise.  Spread with pizza sauce and top with a little bit of cheese, followed by desired toppings, and remaining cheese.  We've found that putting cheese on top of the toppings helps prevent them from falling off.  Place in the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly.

P.S. I apologize for the horrible picture (and lack of pictures).  I had neglected to take pictures when I made them, so I took a picture of one that had been refrigerated and wasn't reheated.  But I figured it at least gives an idea of what this recipe is about.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails