Monday, March 12, 2012

Cake Series: Smooth and Creamy Buttercream


Last Friday, I shared my recipe for mint chocolate chip cupcakes - just in time for St. Patrick's Day!  I frosted them with mint buttercream, and I want to share our buttercream recipe with you today.  I used a basic recipe, but altered it just a bit to make it peppermint flavored.  This isn't your typical sugary buttercream.  This stuff is so smooth and creamy!  I wouldn't recommend making it if you don't have a stand mixer, though.

Smooth and Creamy Buttercream
1 lb butter, room temperature
5 large egg whites
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 Tbsp vanilla

In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter until pale and fluffy.  Set aside.  If you have more than one bowl for your mixer, you can leave it in the bowl, but if you only have one, you'll need to transfer the whipped butter to another bowl and clean the mixing bowl.


Place a clean, heatproof mixing bowl over a simmering pot of water.  In the mixing bowl, place the egg whites and sugar.  Heat, whisking until sugar dissolves and egg whites are warm to the touch.




Remove from heat and transfer bowl to mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.  Beat on medium-high until the egg whites are cool and stiff peaks form, about 10 minutes.


Reduce speed to medium-low and add butter a few tablespoons at a time.  Mix well after each addition, scraping the sides of the bowl periodically.  Beat in vanilla.

Switch to the paddle attachment and beat on low for 3 to 5 minutes to remove air bubbles.


To make mint buttercream: Instead of adding vanilla, add 1-2 tsp. peppermint extract and green food coloring, if desired.  For my cupcakes, after I frosted them, I drizzled them with ganache and sprinkled mini chocolate chips over the top.

1 comment:

KellyC said...

Oh my goodness, I just made this buttercream last night and it was the yummiest icing ever. Thank you so much!

Related Posts with Thumbnails