Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Super Chocolatey Trifle


A couple weeks ago, I posted a recipe for the most amazing homemade dark chocolate brownies and mentioned I'd post a recipe in which I used those brownies.  Let me tell you that this dessert is so yummy but rich, so make sure you have a cup of milk or coffee on hand!

While we would call it a trifle, by definition, it really isn't a trifle.  According to Wikipedia, a trifle is a "dessert dish made from thick (or often solidified) custard, fruit, sponge cake, fruit juice or gelatin, and whipped cream.  These ingredients are usually arranged in layers with fruit and sponge on the bottom, and custard and cream on top."  Notice that there's no mention of chocolate or brownies in that definition.  However, I don't care what it's called, because it's delicious whatever you call it!

Super Chocolatey Trifle
1 batch dark chocolate brownies or 1 box brownies, baked according to package directions and cooled
3.9 oz pkg instant chocolate pudding mix
1/2 cup water
14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
20 oz frozen whipped topping (e.g. Cool Whip), thawed
Chocolate candy bar (Heath Bar, Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, etc.), chopped

Cut brownies into 1-inch cubes; set aside.


In a large bowl, combine pudding mix, sweetened condensed milk, and water.  Mix until smooth.  Carefully fold in approximately 8 oz. whipped topping until no streaks remain.

Before the whipped topping.

After the whipped topping.

In a trifle bowl or glass mixing bowl, place half of the brownies in a layer.  Top with half of the pudding mixture, spreading evenly over the top of the brownies.  Then add a layer of half of the remaining whipped topping; sprinkle with half of the chopped chocolate candy.  Repeat all layers, ending with the whipped topping and chocolate candy bar.  Refrigerate for at least 8 hours.

Single layer of brownies

I softened my whipped topping in the microwave for a little too long, so it was a bit runny, but still turned out.


I only used 1 Heat Bar, but I wish I had used at least 2.

Layers

I waited until shortly before serving to add the Heath Bar to the top, as the moisture in the cream can cause it to dissolve.

Not the most beautiful thing on a plate, but who cares what it looks like when it tastes so good!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

This trifle has been a favorite in our family for a long time. It looks superb. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your trifle up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/07/sweets-for-saturday-25.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails