Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Barbacoa




Where I live, we have a restaurant chain called Chipotle.  We don't go there often, but when we do, I enjoy getting their Barbacoa burrito.  It's shredded beef that is just bursting with deliciousness!  I was excited when I found a recipe that was similar to Chipotle's barbacoa beef and, oh my, is it tasty!

This recipe calls for my favorite cut of beef - chuck roast.  It can be such a, diverse, inexpensive, and delicious cut of meat!  I wait for chuck roasts to go on sale for under $2 per pound and stock up and almost always cook them in my slow cooker, because the secret to making a cheap cut of meat tender is to cook it slow and long.  Additionally, if you use beans and rice in your burritos, you'll be using less meat, which makes this a very affordable meal!  I did make a few changes to the original recipe, so here's my version:

Barbacoa Beef
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
3 Tbsp. lime juice
3 chipotle peppers in adobo (even the small cans contain more than 3 peppers, so I put whatever I don't use in a zip top bag and freeze it for later use)
4-6 garlic cloves
4 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. oregano
1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp clove
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
3-4 lb chuck roast, trimmed of fat
3/4 cup water
3/4 tsp. chicken bouillon
3 bay leaves
Tortillas

In a blender or food processor, combine vinegar, lime juice, chipotles, garlic, cumin, oregano, pepper, salt, and clove.  Process until smooth.


Cut roast into 5 or 6 pieces.  Heat oil in a skillet (preferably cast iron) until very hot.  Carefully place the meat into the skillet and sear on each side for a couple of minutes.  You're not cooking the meat here, just trying to get a nice sear on all sides.

Your pan needs to be really hot to get a really good sear.  I recommend using cast iron for this.
Once the meat has been seared, place it in the slow cooker and pour the chipotle mixture over the top of the meat.  Place a couple tablespoons of water in the pan/skillet you used to sear the meat and deglaze the pan (heat the water in the pan, scraping the bits of meat that have been left behind).
The drippings left in the pan after searing the meat are full of flavor!


Pour the contents of the pan into the slow cooker with the meat, along with 3/4 cup water, 3/4 tsp. chicken bouillon, and bay leaves.  Cover and cook on low for 5 hours or until meat is tender.


Once meat is done, shred it, and place it back into the slow cooker with the juices.  Serve in burritos (or tacos) with pico de gallo, rice, beans, and any other desired toppings.





Suggested toppings: cheese, rice, pinto beans, pico de gallo, guacamole, hot sauce, sour cream, olives, lettuce.

4 comments:

Kristin said...

That looks amazing!!!!

Amy said...

Hello ladies - I'm a friend of the Parkers from growing up and also an avid blog follower - I've been following you guys from the beginning... I hadn't tried any of your recipes yet until today - when I saw this one claiming to be like Chipotle barbacoa I just HAD to try it! Happy to report that it is amazing and very similar! I made a cilantro lime rice with corn and black beans to continue authenticating the experience - yum! Keep the good food coming :)

Sharon said...

I made this last night and we loved it. Only things I did a little different-added half an onion into the adobo/spice mixture and used chicken broth instead of water and boullion and added a couple extra chipotles-spicy yummy!! We reduced the sauce down on the stovetop after removing the meat and it was thick and delicious!

Liz Rivera said...

I made this yesterday. Wow! My family loved it. I followed the recipe exactly and it was delicious. We are big Chipotle fans and it certainly passes the test. I believe that it will be a favorite in our house. I love the fact that you cook it in the slow cooker and is easy to make. Thank you for the great recipes!

Related Posts with Thumbnails