Saturday, April 2, 2011

Baby Food: Acorn Squash and Apple Sauce



As I promised in last week’s post, I will be discussing how to microwave acorn squash.  It’s basically done the same way as spaghetti squash.  I like having the option to microwave acorn squash because it uses a lot less energy than baking it in the oven and it doesn’t heat up the house as much (we are in the middle of a warm spell).  Other small winter squashes may be microwaved too.

Not only is microwaving squashes a lot faster than other cooking methods, but it also retains a lot of the nutrients.  Because no water is used, the vitamins and minerals do not leach out.

Acorn Squash
1 acorn squash

Rinse squash and place on microwave-safe plate.  Pierce several times with fork or knife.  Microwave on high, 5 minutes.













Using extreme caution, turn squash over; microwave 5 more minutes.  Let rest in microwave 5 minutes.  Slice squash down middle; scoop out and discard seeds.












Scoop flesh into bowl.



Mash with fork or potato masher.  Add water to achieve desired consistency.


April loved it!  Because the weather was so nice,
she got to eat her dinner outside on the lawn.

May be puréed in food processor for smoother texture.

I also introduced applesauce into April’s diet this week.  She wasn’t too keen on it.  I think it’s because I tried to give it to her cold from the fridge.  I will try warming it up next time.

Up until now, I have made all of her food.  It’s healthier and much more inexpensive than buying baby food.  Applesauce is the exception.  Unless you have your own apple tree, it is usually cheaper to buy applesauce already made than to buy apples and make your own.  It is not necessary, however, to buy special baby applesauce.  I simply buy the cheapest applesauce (no sugar added) from the canned fruit section.  Sorry, I don’t have any photos of me opening the store-bought jar, so here's another picture of April instead.

Check out those chunky thighs!!

3 comments:

StaceyN said...

I think homemade applesauce is the BEST baby food! When our 2-year old was a baby, he was SO picky, but we could convince him to eat almost anything if it was mixed with homemade applesauce. We took to calling it "the new ketchup." During his first year there was a bumper crop of apples around here, so I ended up picking a ton of them and canning over 100 quarts of the stuff. So glad he liked it! My big boys like to eat it with a dollop of heavy cream (still healthy, but definitely not diet food).

I've made butternut squash baby food before but never acorn squash. I'll have to give it a try once our tiny new boy is ready for more than milk. Thank you for sharing all of your great baby food ideas.

StaceyN said...

BTW, just had to add, your baby is ADORABLE! Love those chunky thighs. I wish chunky thighs looked so good on me LOL! you and Robbie make beautiful kids. Don't stop!

Sumiko said...

Stacey, that's a lot of applesauce!! I can't even imagine what 25 gallons of applesauce looks like! Ha! I think I need to spend some time with you and do some canning. I've only done it a few times, and not very successfully. It's definitely something I would like to do.

And thanks! We think she's ADORABLE too, chunky thighs and all! =-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails