Saturday, March 26, 2011

Baby Food: Butternut Squash


It was my desire to post about butternut squash and acorn squash, but it is 11:07 pm on Friday night and I just realized that tomorrow is Saturday and I don’t have it written yet.  So I will just be discussing butternut squash and will save acorn for another time.  To keep this post short and quick, I will include a lot more general squash info when I post about acorn squash.

Winter squash is a great baby food because they tend to really like it.  It’s sweeter than a lot of other vegetables.  It’s also easy to make.  There are several ways to cook winter squash.  I usually bake or microwave it whole.

Just as with yams, you need to be careful about the amount of squash you feed your baby.  Too much will make their skin turn orange.

Winter Squash
Winter squash

Preheat oven to 375°.  Line rimmed baking sheet with foil.  Pierce squash with fork and place on baking sheet.


Bake until tender in middle when pierced with fork, about 45 minutes for a small squash and 1½ hours for a large butternut.

Don't skip the foil or all that sticky juice
will end up on your pan!

Cool slightly.  Split squash down middle.


Scoop out and discard seeds.  Scrape out flesh.  Mash with fork or potato masher.



For a smoother texture, purée in food processor.


I don't have a photo of April enjoying her squash, but she really likes it!  Here is a cute one of her looking at a puppet.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails