Friday, February 18, 2011

Chicken Quesadillas


On Monday I wrote about chicken and dumplings.  I said I never use all the chicken and that one of the things I like to do with the leftover meat is make chicken quesadillas.  You could use leftover sauteed or baked chicken.

Not only are they quick, easy, and delicious, they are freezable too!!  By making a lot of quesadillas at a time and freezing them, I can save time when packing school lunches.  I simply take a few quesadilla wedges out of the freezer and pack them in a plastic container.

My apologies for the poor quality of some of these photos.  I took them on a cloudy day with kids running around my legs and an infant in my arms.

Chicken Quesadillas
Flour tortillas
Cheddar, Monterey Jack, or a mixture, shredded
Leftover chicken, shredded or chopped
Hot sauce (optional)






Heat a skillet over medium to medium-high heat.  Place one tortilla in skillet.  Sprinkle cheese over top.


Add chicken and hot sauce, if desired.  Sprinkle additional cheese.


The second sprinkling of cheese is important for holding
the top tortilla on--do not omit it!

Top with second tortilla.  When bottom is browned, carefully flip; continue to cook until cheese is melted and second side is browned.  Allow to cool a few minutes before cutting.


To freeze, completely cool uncut quesadillas on wire rack.  If they are not completely cool before being frozen, they will stick together.


Stack a few cooled quesadillas and cut into wedges.



Transfer to zip-top bag and store in freezer.


Reheat in microwave, oven, or toaster oven.

Remember to come back tomorrow for the first installment of my Saturday baby food series!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails