Monday, July 12, 2010

BLT Wraps with...Clearance Meat???

We all know that stores clearance items they're trying to get rid of, but did you know that grocery stores clearance meat? While "clearance meat" doesn't sound all that appealing, there's nothing wrong with it; and it is a great way to get meat at a bargain price. It's simply meat that has a sell-by date that is within the next couple of days. The main thing to keep in mind is to either use it or freeze it right away. Most grocery stores mark their meat on clearance on Friday afternoons, so the best time to shop for it is Friday evening or Saturday morning. Many grocery stores have a designated area in the meat section for their clearance meats.

A couple Saturdays ago, I was at the grocery store to get a few items, so I headed over to the clearance meat section. I was excited to find chicken leg quarters on clearance for 50% off, making them only 65 cents per pound. I grabbed a pack of five leg quarters for my husband to BBQ. A couple days later, he BBQ'd three of the leg quarters and I stuck two in the freezer. We ate two of the BBQ'd ones that night, and I used the third to make BLT wraps the next night.


Bacon is a special treat in our house. There are two reasons I don't purchase bacon on a regular basis: 1) it's usually out of our price range, and 2) it's not healthy. When I can find bacon on clearance or on sale for under $2 per pound, I will sometimes buy it. A couple months ago, I found it for $1.68 per pound, so I bought 3 lbs. and froze it in usable-sized portions. I used a portion of that bacon for these.

BLT Wraps
Bacon, cooked and crumbled
Chicken, cooked, diced, and seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic powder
Romaine lettuce, shredded
Tomatoes, chopped
Grated Parmesan
Caesar salad dressing
Tortillas, warmed

Layer ingredients on tortillas, filling mostly with lettuce. Wrap the tortillas like a burrito, and serve immediately. I also put a little avocado on mine, since I found a great sale last week!


Even though these contain chicken and bacon, they can be made at little cost, because they contain mostly lettuce.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails