|Jacque's pumpkin pie cake|
Only one more week until we all pause for a day to reflect on our blessings! And of course, that means only one more week to prepare for the Thanksgiving feast! As you make lists, go shopping, and start chopping and cooking, we'd like to offer a few reminders to help your holiday go more smoothly:
- A frozen turkey always takes longer to thaw than you would think. You can find turkey tips here.
- If you are hosting, be willing to accept help. When someone asks, "What can I bring?", don't let your pride get the better of you. Avoid saying, "I've got it covered." Every dish someone else prepares is one less thing on your shoulder.
- If you are going to someone else's house, ask what you can provide and get it as table-ready as possible before arriving. Keep in mind fridge and oven space will be limited. Take your cold dishes in an insulated carrier with ice packs. Heat your hot dishes at home and take them in an insulated carrier with heating pads.
- Let the kids help! Set them up with age-appropriate jobs like peeling potatoes, cutting vegetables, setting the table, making table decorations and place cards, answering the door and taking coats. Not only will this keep them occupied, it will teach them about the work that goes into a family gathering.
- Plan and do ahead so you can get out of the kitchen and spend time with your family.
- Don't get wrapped up in having the "perfect" Thanksgiving. Turkey overdone? Pie crust not flaky? Kids spill gravy on your carpet? It's all part of the experience. Enjoy the day. Be thankful you have kids/nieces/nephews/grandkids with whom to share a meal and spill things on your floor.
- Above all, remember to give thanks to the One from whom all blessing flow!
To help you out, we've provided links to our previous Thanksgiving recipes. We will continue to post more, including our family's cranberry-orange relish, so be sure to keep checking back!
|Mashed potato casserole|
Mashed potato casserole
Roasted garlic mashed potatoes
Pumpkin pie cake
Loaded Thanksgiving stuffing
Black Friday casserole (aka leftover casserole)
|Loaded Thanksgiving stuffing|