Friday, September 16, 2011

Welsh Rabbit


Let me start this post with a disclaimer.  While the point of our blog is typically cheap, nutritious, delicious meals, this one is neither cheap nor nutritious, but it is delicious.  Sumiko once discussed how she occasionally strays from her price limits for special occasions.  Well, we had one such occasion last week - my daughter's third birthday!  I wanted her day to be special, so I planned a special breakfast and lunch.  The lunch consisted of one of my favorite childhood meals, Welsh rabbit (or Welsh rarebit).  Our mom didn't make it very often, so it was always a special treat when she did.  This was the first time I made it for my daughter and she LOVED it!

Welsh Rabbit
2 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
1/8 - 1/4 tsp salt
Pinch dry mustard
1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 cup milk
6 oz. processed American cheese block (i.e. Velveeta), cubed
1/2 loaf French bread, cubed


In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.  Stir in flour, salt, mustard, and Worcestershire.

I forgot to add the mustard and Worcestershire when I put the flour in, so this is right before I put them in.
Cook, stirring for about 1 minute.  Add milk; cook, stirring until thickened.  Reduce heat to medium-low; add cheese.


Cook, stirring constantly until cheese is melted.


Serve with cubed French bread.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails