Monday, September 12, 2011

Cake Series: Peanut Butter Filling


There are many different types of filling for cakes, but one of my all-time favorites is peanut butter, especially when it's in a chocolate cake!  I mean, who doesn't like peanut butter and chocolate?!  Most of the cakes/cupcakes I make are filled with this scrumptious peanut butter filling.  It is very easy to make, but be careful, because it's addicting!

Peanut Butter Filling
3 Tbsp butter, softened
1 cup creamy peanut butter
2/3 cup powdered sugar

In the bowl of a mixer, beat butter until soft and fluffy; add peanut butter and mix well.  Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until well-incorporated.

I think I quadrupled this batch, so the quantities in the pictures are different than those for which the recipe calls.





Use as a filling for cakes, cupcakes, or just eat by the spoonful.  I have to mention that this filling tastes amazing when placed between two peanut butter cookies (my dad will serve as a witness - it was his idea to take the cookies sitting on my counter and add the peanut butter filling I also had sitting on my counter).  I imagine this would also taste scrumptious if you mixed it in with some vanilla ice cream, chocolate chips, and chocolate syrup.  Yum!  Good thing I don't have any ice cream in my house, otherwise, I'd probably be eating this right now!

4 comments:

StaceyN said...

Wow, this sounds fabulous! What is the consistency when it has been on the cake in the fridge for awhile? Is it gooey or kind of firm and chewy? Does it make a good cupcake topping, or is it too soft? I'll definitely have to try this!

Kristin said...

My mouth is watering!!!!! I think between your cake recipe and this filling recipe...I have the birthday cake I want till the day I die!:)

Kimiko said...

Stacey, it is smooth and somewhat firm (maybe like margarine?). It's not quite as firm as buttercream, but it does firm up.

It should work as a cupcake topping. I'm not sure if it can be piped as is, but it can definitely be spread. If you want to pipe it and it's not thick enough, you can always add more powdered sugar until you reach the consistency you're looking for! I hope that helps!

Kristin, I hope you get to eat lots of these cakes, then!

Unknown said...

Used this as a topping for brownies! Yummy :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails