Monday, February 6, 2012

Greek Turkey Burgers


While I'm not a huge fan of burgers (much to my husband's dismay), I do really like these Greek turkey burgers!  I have to thank one of my friends who introduced me to them a few years ago.  The flavors blend together so beautifully, and even my 3-year-old enjoys these!

I will say that some of the ingredients in this recipe can get somewhat pricey, though.  For example, ground turkey is usually over my $2/lb limit for meat.  However, it often goes on sale for under $2/lb and when it does, I stock up.  I also use Kalamata olives in this recipe.  When first looking at the price for a jar of kalamatas, you may get sticker shock.  But one thing to keep in mind is that you'll be able to get several meals out of one jar.  You can also use other types of olives, but I really like the flavor the kalamatas add.  And keep in mind that it's cheaper to buy a block of feta and crumble it yourself than to buy the pre-crumbled feta.

Greek Turkey Burgers
1 1/4 lb ground turkey
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup kalamata olives, chopped
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
ground black pepper, to taste

In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients.  I've found that the easiest way to mix everything is to use your hands.  (Just make sure you wash them really well with soap and water before touching anything else in the kitchen!  You don't want to cross-contaminate your food!)



Once mixed, form into desired size patties.  I usually get about 6 patties, but you can make them bigger or smaller if you'd like.  Once the patties are formed, you can either grill them or cook them in an oiled saute pan until cooked through.  I like to serve them on toasted hamburger buns with red onion slices.  I'm guessing they would taste amazing with hummus or tzatziki on them, too!  I haven't tried it, yet, but I'd like to!




2 comments:

StaceyN said...

Those look great and like something my family would love. I've never tried anything like that before, so it sounds like a fun change from our boring burgers! I'll bet they're great on ciabatta bread. I'll probably have to wait until the morning sickness passes before I can handle the smell of feta, though (you know what feta smells like, don’t you??).

I like to mix up big bowls of gushy ingredients with my hands, too, but I usually keep a large box of disposable latex gloves under the sink for such tasks. My mom picks them up for me at Costco, and they last forever. That way I don't have raw meat under my nails :-). I suppose I could be more economical and use the reusable Playtex yellow gloves, but it's just totally worth the convenience for me.

Jennifer Scott said...

I made this recipe and it was a hit! Love them! I made a couple of adjustments to accommodate what I had on hand at the time. I used some different kind of olives from the olive bar at Whole Foods that had thin slices of garlic. Don't know what kind they are but I love 'em. Also, I used tons of fresh parsley because I wanted to use it up. The rest I followed your recipe. We had some friends staying at the time and they were in love with the greek turkey burgers and so am I! Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails