Friday, August 12, 2011

Breakfast Burritos Revisited

We will occasionally be revisiting some of our previously posted recipes with updates and things we have changed.  Part of the reason for doing this is to introduce some of our newer readers to our earlier posts, but one of the main reasons is to show that recipes don't need to be followed exactly.  At least most of them don't.  With cooking, you can be creative and make adjustments to create new flavor combinations and make old recipes new and exciting again.  I don't have measurements for this "recipe," but I just want to show you how you can easily spice up or alter a recipe.

Back at the beginning of Near to Nothing, I wrote a post about potatoes, which featured a recipe for breakfast burritos.  We got tired of eating these, so we hadn't had them for a long time.  I decided to make them again, but made a few changes to the recipe, using different ingredients I already had on hand.  You can find the original recipe here

And now, for the changes I made this time:
  • Potatoes: I used garlic powder, salt, and pepper as the recipe calls for, but I also added a little bit of cumin and some chili powder to kick up the flavor a bit.
  • Onions and Green Bell Peppers: I sauteed them with some chopped fresh tomatoes, minced garlic, and chopped green chiles.  
  • Sausage: I left it out completely.
  • Black Beans: I added black beans.

They are just small changes, but can liven up a recipe.  We encourage you to try different things and to even stray away from recipes if you're feeling adventurous!



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails