Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Sugar Cookies



When it comes to desserts, I'll choose chocolate over anything else 99% of the time.  Basically, I'm a chocoholic.  However, I do have a weakness for good sugar cookies - no chocolate necessary.  I'm not talking about just any old sugar cookie; they have to be good!  When I was in junior high, I stumbled upon the following sugar cookie recipe, and it is my favorite!  Of course, you can always buy sugar cookie dough in the refrigerator section of your grocery store, but this is a much more budget-friendly alternative.  I've made these cookies for various events and have always gotten compliments on them.  It's a very basic, but oh-so-delicious recipe!  These are the cookies I made for my daughter's birthday party.

Sugar Cookies
2 sticks butter at room temperature (margarine cannot be substituted for this recipe, as it will make   your cookies spread too much when baking, thereby losing their shape)
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 Tbsp vanilla
4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar.  Add eggs, sour cream, and vanilla.  Beat until light and fluffy.

In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients.  Gradually add to wet ingredients, mixing to combine.


Divide the dough into 3 equal parts.  Wrap each third in cling wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.  You can also make the dough ahead of time and just stick it in the freezer at this point.


On a floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-inch thick.  Using a cookie cutter, cut into desired shapes.  **UPDATE** It is sometimes easier to roll out the dough between two pieces of floured parchment paper.


To pick up your cut-out dough, first remove the dough surrounding the cookie, then pick up the cookie.

Place shapes 1-inch apart on a cookie sheet or stone.  Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.  Allow to cool for 1 minute before removing to a cooling rack.  Yields about 3 lbs. of dough.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Sounds yummy! I'll bet the sour cream is the true "secret ingredient" for making these so good. What frosting do you use? Do you like these just as well without being frosted?

Kristin said...

Thanks so much Sumiko and Kimiko for your blog! It's been full of such great suggestions!

Also, Kimiko...I was cracking up reading what you wrote...I am the EXACT same way...if it's not chocolate my next favorite thing is a good sugar cookie with a cup of tea!:)

love you!

Kimiko said...

Sarah, I actually prefer them without frosting, because I'm a weirdo and don't like frosting. However, I usually end up using royal icing or melted white chocolate to frost them. We'll be writing about that soon (hopefully next week).

Kristin, next time we're together we'll have to whip of a cheese cake (how long have we been saying that), something chocolate, and some sugar cookies. :)

Shari said...

I can't wait to try it! I am making gingerbread men for preschool next week! I have always been on the hunt for a good sugar cookie recipe. Is there a yeild of how much a recipe makes?

Kimiko said...

Shari, sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you, but I just finally had a chance to make the dough again and measure. It yields about 3 lbs of dough. I can't tell you how many cookies it yields, as that depends on the size and shape of your cookies. I hope that helps.

Related Posts with Thumbnails