Friday, July 13, 2012

Glazed Cream Scones


I had previously posted a recipe for scones that I had gotten from my husband's family.  However, at the risk of being disowned by them, I am now posting my new go-to scone recipe.  It's so delicious, and I am very popular with my husband's coworkers because of these scones.  If I had just randomly come across this recipe, I probably would have been skeptical, because it's made in a food processor, which could easily lead to tough, chewy scones.  However, if you make them correctly, they are so tender and moist, and they melt in your mouth!  Just make sure not to over-process them!  If you don't have a food processor, I imagine you can make these by hand and just cut the butter in with a pastry blender or two knives.  I can't vouch for this method, since I've never tried it, but it should work.

Glazed Cream Scones
2 c. flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
3 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
5 Tbsp. chilled butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes (if it's hot, I often put my butter in the freezer for a while)
1 c. heavy cream
1/2 c. chocolate chips, raisins, dried cranberries
Glaze (recipe below)

Preheat to 425.  Place flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in food processor.  Pulse 6 times.
  


Add butter; pulse 12 times, or until the mixture resembles coarse meal.  





Add cream and process on low until it forms ball, about 15 seconds.  Add dried fruit or chocolate chips and pulse one more time.  Transfer dough and dry bits to coutertop and form ball.  Flatten into disk approximately 1 1/2 inches thick.  Cut into 8 wedges.  




Place onto ungreased sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until light brown.  Cool on a rack at least 10 minutes.  







Glaze
3 Tbsp butter, melted
2 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-2 Tbsp milk

For glaze, place melted butter, powdered sugar, vanill, and 1 Tbsp milk in bowl and whisk.  Gradually add milk until glaze reaches a drizzling consistency.  Drizzle over cooled scones.  You can flavor the glaze as desired (orange, maple, etc.).





No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails